A Week with Kenn 93

6:49 PM

Image by Amane0213

Charlotte's adorable once you get past the long, big, black thing that eats people. 

It's been like a year since I last did one of these. Amazing.

On the other hand, that's how I'm feeling lately. Sleepy. No free time these days.




 Recently got my hands on a bottle or two of this. I've had this in a post a while back, maybe somewhere in the time frame of a year ago. Anyways, this delicious drink is imported from the U.K., and continues to elude Weej and I. Can't seem to find a place (that's not a restaurant) that sells these!


 Result of my donation to the rescue efforts in Japan. A group of students were selling these for 5 for $6. Expensive, yes, but it's a donation drive, not a sale. I bought five, gave two to a friend.


 Last week I was busy with Vancouver Pro Musica's Sonic Boom, a 4 day event showcasing the city's best in new music and composers. I had a work in the masterclass with this year's composer-in-residence, R. Murray Schafer. It's a great honour to have my piece critiqued by him. I could only attend two of the four days however. Couldn't attend opening day because I had lots of work to do for the next day at school.

The event is usually held at the Western Front, a building at the corner of 8th and Scotia. Looks like it's probably a refurbished house or something because the inside looks really old. The stairs creak and all.

Note the crow in midflight.


 The community that the Western Front is in is called Mount Pleasant. Communities like these are everywhere in Vancouver; I suppose you could consider these like wards in Japan, just each little community doesn't have a leader.

Photo was taken just outside of Kingsgate Mall.


 Things like these can be found around the community. The history of the community is told through a slew of stories and maps on plaques scattered throughout the community. Seems like Mount Pleasant had quite the brewery at one time. Click on the photo to blow it up. You should be able to read it then.


 View from street level just past the community center. I imagine those who live in the apartments and condos in the community have a gorgeous view. You've got the view of downtown Vancouver, as well as an unhindered view of the North Shore mountains.

You'll find lots of buildings like these. Construction is a constantly employing industry in Vancouver. Not trying to sound pessimistic, but demand isn't going to always be there.


 Not sure if this will be permanent, but this is kind of an ad for the community, promoting Mount Pleasant's great aspects: safety, accessibility and the love of the arts. Apparently, many artists and musicians live up there. I say 'up' because I live in the southern regions of the city.


Went to his concert on Sunday with Ivy. Had a blast at the concert, which ended really late. Not good for a student on Sunday. No problem for Ivy since she's done with her program now though.


Opening act lasted about an hour or so, and was done by a local group, The Arbutus Collective, probably named after Arbutus Street, a long street that cuts through communities like Kerrisdale and heads into the downtown core. Crown appreciated them, but I'm sure most of them were just anxiously waiting for David to come on stage.

Concert was held at the Venue, a club downtown. Was fairly far back from the stage, but still had a great view. David was great on stage. He sounds just as good on the CD as he did on stage.  Between the songs he'd talk, sometimes for a while. No one minded though. He's hilarious.



You guys will 'woo' at anything.


David took suggestions from the audience in doing a free-style song. The result was hilarious and I kind of wish people gave better suggestions. I was kind of far back, so I don't think I couldn't pitch in a suggestion even if I tried.

Much kudos to the lighting crew. Lighting was great and the signboard behind David added to some of the antics he pulled. David didn't notice them until he saw people looking behind him. "Hey. That's my name!"



They stamped this on our hands when we went in. It's still on my today. Wonder if Ivy's is gone yet, because hers was already beginning to fade after a washroom break during the concert. Their logo is pretty cool.



Another one of my favourites off his second album. Deserve to Be. It's a sad song, but it's so good! <3



David did a prize toss in the middle of the concert. He numbered paper airplanes and threw them one by one into the crowd. The lucky few could then turn the planes in for the prize after the concert. Being in the back, I had no chance.


 Got my CD signed by David. Unfortunately, my camera batteries died mid-concert, so in a desperate attempt to save at least a little power for the meet-and-greet at the end, I forwent trying to film one of my favourite songs, That Girl. Ivy got her photo, but unfortunately, this is the best I could get before the camera went kersplat.


BUT I did get it signed, and that's one of the more important parts. Kakaka. I'm sure my cousin in Texas is so jealous right now.


The real work starts now for school. With finals coming up, everything gets super busy and I'm still trying to work on the anime previews. Probably the busiest I've ever been since I started at Capilano. Not that it's a bad thing...well it is for my blog since it's been rather inactive as of late. SEE Y'ALL NEXT YEAR OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!

You Might Also Like

1 comments