A Day with Kenn 92

5:00 PM


It's been a while, hasn't it?

Edit: No, that's not me. I'm not in any of the photos in this post. I censored the faces just to be a wee bit courteous (though he probably doesn't mind considering what he's doing).




Image from Kotaku

Old news by now, but Sony recently officially announced and showed off this very impressive successor to the wonderous PSP, tentatively named the NGP, Next Generation Portable. While waiting for my mom to pick me up from a late night choir rehearsal on Wednesday, I followed Sony's press conference via Kotaku on my iTouch. It was amazing when they brought out the NGP. Even if I was alone outside with nothing but woods around me, it felt as if everyone let out a big cheer. Or at least, that's how I felt. I don't really feel like fanboying and going on about the machine too much, so I'll just link to this Kotaku article.


Miyyaaaaaaaa!! Sorry, but I couldn't resist putting this up. It's been on repeat for a few days now. I know that you'll probably have it on repeat too, so here's the link to that. Alternatively, you could copy the the Nico Nico Douga video number (SM#) and paste it into Nicosound and download the mp3 file.



Headed down to our family's Vancouver branch of the restaurant to join in (early) Lunar New Years festivities. If you're in the around, you should drop by later in the day. 12-2 pm is more or less it's busiest time, so you may want to come earlier or later. Shamless self-advertisement.


Hopefully this map works. First time I've embedded a map into the post.

It was a gorgeous, albeit cold day. Not a cloud in the sky, giving us a pure blue light blue sky with the sun beaming down on us. 

First float of the day. The car got towed to another location so it wouldn't get in the way of the parade that was coming down the street. Truck driver! Tow that car! (Kudos to anyone to recognizes where a statement similar to that is from).

One of the many groups that were part of the festivities. This one is Vietnam Connection, and I'm not actually sure what exactly it is, but there were people of many elasticities in it, so I'm going to assume it's for things like adopting a child, or getting to know your heritage and whatnot.




The main attraction: the lion dace. Complete with drums and cymbals (no firecrackers), the dance went down the street and eventually into our restaurant for a quick visit. 

The Lion Dance (often mistaken for the Dragon Dance) is a staple of Chinese New Year festivities around the world. Lions are usually red, orange or yellow. The dance is traditionally a means to scare away bad spirits. The lions differ between the styl, as Northern China, Southern China and Taiwan all have different styles and dances. Japan and Korea also have their own, and the lions look very, very different from their Chinese counterparts.

A quick martial arts demonstration behind the two lions. The guys in flashy pants aren't being flamboyant. They're the other set of the lions' legs.



Video I took. I might make another post when my cousin gets me the rest of the photos. The battery on my camera died sometime midway through the lion dance.



Politicians didn't miss a chance like this. The NDP and Conservative party had reps in the parade. No Liberal in sight, but doing things like this is supposed to show community involvement. No one likes an M.P. who doesn't know squat about the riding he/she represents.

Snapped a shot of the mayor of Vancouver, Gregor Robertson. I so feel like paparazzi. He often attends these cultural events. I remember that he was at the Japanese festival last summer on Powell Street.

Another shot of the lion inside the restaurant. My uncle tied a head of cabbage to the ceiling for the guys the grab. You usually attach a red envelope with money in it to the cabbage for the lion to eat as it gives good luck and prosperity. While 'spitting' out the cabbage, the guys ended up throwing the envelope too. My aunt had to go chase them to give it back.


Had one of these at home. You can't get these (or spicy cheetohs) in Canada, so she picked up a butt tonne of stuff from just south of the border in December. It's quite tasty. Enjoyed the frozen treat while watching Rocky try to fish out a dog treat from under the couch.

You Might Also Like

0 comments