Manga of the Week - カレーなる食卓

11:55 AM

Image from here

The series is much more interesting than the title makes it sound.



Title: カレーなる食卓, Curry Naru Shokutaku, Addicted to Curry
Author: Funatsu Kazuki
Genre: Seinen, Comedy, Romance, Slice of Life
Serialized in: Shueisha Weekly Young Jump
Total Volume Count: 38 (ongoing)

Series Summary from MangaUpdates:
Makito Koenji is a curry chef with a mysterious past who helps Yui Sonezaki keep her father's curry restaurant, Ganesha, open through a lack of customers, a hostile takeover attempt by a huge company, and many other challenges. Get addicted... to Curry.
Kenn's Comment: It's a really good series. I've always shied away from cooking manga, because of how elaborate and fabulous things got (read: ridiculous). Like Yakitate!! Japan. I think I stopped following that when Pierrot had the bread made with Cannabis oil and somehow changed history by going back in time. I know Cannabis can do some trippy things, but that's going a bit far.

Getting off that tangent, the series balances a romantic subplot with the overarching plot of the everyday business at the Ganesha. Throw in hi-jinx, periods of bumpy relationships, Yakuza (he's not Yakuza!), and the male lead's unknown past and you've got the makings of a great manga. Should also note that the author includes most of the recipes that are featured in the manga. I haven't tried them out myself, but I hear they do actually work. The culinarily inclined may want to test these out. If you do, give me a shout and tell me about it!

Running in serialization for a decade now, the series is by no means disliked.

You Might Also Like

0 comments